RSS

Friday, August 2, 2013

2013 Reading: May - July Edition

My top recommendations from this edition of What I've Been Reading include:

Ruta Sepetys is one of my new favorite authors. Both Between Shades of Gray (read earlier in the year) and Out of the Easy are fantastic historical novels. Just read them. :)

I particularly enjoyed the first half of Rootless. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it as a whole, but I was a little disappointed to discover that it's a series. I felt like if crafted just a little differently, it could have been a great stand alone YA novel. But still, I appreciated the dystopian world Chris Howard created. It's sometime in the future and there are no trees left (though there is a rumor about one remaining living tree somewhere), there are flesh-eating locusts, and genetically modified popcorn is what everyone eats.

The River of No Return is a time travel story about a young man from the 1800s who jumps forward in time 200 years to escape death. His world is, obviously, turned upside down, but he adapts; however, he is thrown a few curve balls by the Guild, time travel officials.

The World's Strongest Librarian is the memoir of librarian with an extreme case of Tourette's syndrome who uses strength training to help control it. Part of the reason I enjoyed this book is that I could totally relate to his stories about working in a public library. It is an engaging and easy read.

In previous posts I highlighted favorite quotes from Galatians for You and Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art.


May
Non-Fiction
The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life by Leo Babauta
Zen Habits by Leo Babauta
Help Thanks Wow: the Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott

Fiction
The Typewriter Girl by Alison Atlee

YA
Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson
Slated by Teri Terry
Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Rootless by Chris Howard


June
Non-Fiction
How to Be Interesting (In 10 Simple Steps) by Jessica Hagy
The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne

Fiction
The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope by Rhonda Riley

YA
Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi


July
Non-Fiction
Galatians for You by Tim Keller
King's Cross by Tim Keller (audio)
Walking on Water: Reflections on Art and Faith by Madeleine L'Engle

Fiction
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway


6 comments:

Heather L. said...

I didn't know about Ruta's new book. Must get that. I loved her first one, especially since I have a group of friends all descended from Lithuanians.

friv 5 said...

Ruta Sepetys measure is also the author of my favorites, the name associated with talent and is what has made remarkable

huong duong said...

Jewelry presence on the wedding day is not only dashing strokes to adorn his new bride but also carries its own meaning contains the fine traditional values.
run 2 , run 2 game , run , play run 2 , run 3

Unknown said...

Facebook has become a part of my life, not only helped me to connect with you but also where I can share every moment in life. I really like the convenience that it brings

facebook baixar , baixar facebook , facebook baixar , baixar facebook gratis

ht70363@ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hala909 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template