RSS

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday

I know, I go days, even weeks without posting. I imagine that can't be good for my readership...such as it is. :)

For quite a change, Jeremy and I have been fairly busy. Two weeks ago my parents drove up for an overnight. It was lovely to have them here. Then last week Jeremy's parents came for a couple days. Since they live states away, it was nice to be able to show them our home. Jer and I don't have much to show people around the city, but we introduced our parents to our libraries and showed them a few other spots.

Recently we discovered a great little coffee shop that's filled with eclectic chairs and art. The coffee is perfect and costs less than any other place. The first time we visited we ordered house salads and they were unlike any house salad I've ever tasted. Torn Romaine leaves topped with artichoke hearts, tomatoes, green onions, huge feta chunks, salty sunflower seeds, covered in a light vinaigrette and served with warm rye bread.

I've been experimenting in the kitchen again some. Monday night I made salmon that turned out excellently (not to sound too pleased with myself!). I brushed a mixture of melted butter, olive oil, and lemon juice on the salmon and then sprinkled salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and dill and baked it all. Last night a made two kind of sweet potato wedges. One batch I tossed in a mixture of olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper, and a little allspice. The other batch I tossed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and a little salt. The sweet and spicy made a nice contrast and we decided we liked both quite well.

I discovered a new classical artist that is simply amazing. David Garrett. By chance I checked out his new CD from the library and loved it. This is some incredible violin (admittedly I'm not much of a violin fan)! When I googled his name I read that he is the world's fastest violinist. He played Flight of the Bumblebee in 1 minute 6.56 seconds (apparently that's 13 notes per second!). So, if you have the chance, check out this musician.

Last week I was asked if I'd be willing to work a few of my hours in the Children's Room. They are short-staffed there and Circulation where I work is sometimes overstaffed. I'm kind of excited to learn something new. Besides, any one that knows me, knows I love children's books. I'll be starting that soon, so we'll see how it goes.

I'll leave you with this update for now. Soon I have much to say about reading, I've been consuming books this summer and I'll have to share some of my favorites.

Hope you all have a pleasant Wednesday.

3 comments:

Lana Joy said...

I love that Children's section. My good friend worked there while I was there for 2 summers, and sometimes I got to help out with the kids programming. Fun. Hope you enjoy that!

Heather L. said...

Your food sounds good! :) I'm glad you'll get to be in the c's section for a bit! I'll have to check out David Garrett

Anonymous said...

Next time we come up, the coffee shop goes on the "must see" list. My mouth is still watering from the salad description.

Dad

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template