RSS

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

I am so pleased to be gardening this season! Last year I tended a tiny little plot out my back door. It's on the south side of the house, but is fenced in, so is pretty shaded. However, I managed to grow a few tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. This year I decided to plant it out in flowers, herbs, and just one tomato plant.

But the great news is that I have a garden plot at work! The children's department where I work hosts a kid's garden club. The staff partners with a few local master gardeners and they teach kids about gardening, butterflies, bees, and such.

At the suggestion of a co-worker, I approached my manager and requested permission to plant a garden in the same area where the kid's garden club meets. I got the okay and was finally able to plant it a week ago. It's another smallish plot, but very sunny and with room for a few herbs, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and some bush beans (which I'm hoping grow).

I like gardening and being outside and seeing my work bear fruit. I'm no gardening expert, so I'm interested in seeing how my attempts go this summer. Though I'm hoping for success, I feel a bit like this year is an experiment. So, we'll see.

I am truly thankful that God provided places for me to dig in the dirt. :) It's been a desire of mine for awhile now, but I didn't see how it would come to pass considering I'm an upstairs apartment dweller.

(One day I might actually remember to take photos of my gardens to share with you. I seem to be forgetful about that.)

1 comments:

liz nelson said...

it's so awesome that you have a garden plot at work! i hope it is quite successful!:)

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template