RSS

Thursday, December 8, 2011

God Sent His Only Son

I had anticipated enjoying some devotions this month specifically focused on Advent. I always looked forward to our Advent family devotions as a kid. But alas, December started, and I never quite got my act together. So, instead, I've continued on in my reading of John Piper's book The Passion of Jesus Christ: 50 Reasons Why He Came to Die. Now, I realize that might not sound like Christmas-focused reading. But, truly the reason that Jesus was born, was so He could die to save us.

In my reading this week, I read the following passage and was silenced into thought:

What then does it mean that because of Christ's death for us God will certainly with him graciously give us "all things"....
It's the same as the other Biblical promise, "My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:19). This promise is clarified in the preceding words: "In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:12-13).
It says we can do "all things" through Christ. But notice "all things" includes "hungering" and "needing." God will meet every real need including the ability to rejoice in suffering when many felt needs do not get met. God will meet every real need, including the need for grace to hunger when the felt need for food is not met. The suffering and death of Christ guarantee that God will give us all things that we need to do his will and to give him glory and to attain everlasting joy.

I'm not entirely sure why, but The Lord's Prayer has been often in my mind lately. In particular the petition Give us this day our daily bread. In our culture of abundance, we don't often think about daily bread. But, I believe that our daily bread goes beyond just physical food. Sometimes I think of daily bread as energy and patience and other qualities I need for each day. I don't know if that's right or not. But, knowing that God supplies what we need each day physically, mentally, emotionally is a comfort to me.

0 comments:

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template