RSS

Thursday, November 1, 2007

What am I reading...

I've always thought of myself as an avid reader. Somehow to prove that to myself this year, I set a goal to read a book a week. With only something like 8 weeks to go in the year, I've read maybe 30 books, falling woefully behind. I may not reach my goal, but I'll keep reading.
One shelf in my bedroom is devoted to books I plan to read. Instead of shrinking, the number of books is ever expanding.
I keep at least two books going at one time--a work book and a home book. Currently at work I'm reading The Autobiography of an Ex-Coloured Man. This was a suggestion from a literary co-worker and I'm finding it a quick read. Perhaps not the most interesting book, but the author discusses being a coloured man in the north and the south and his impressions of relationships between blacks and whites. At home I was reading Barbara Kingsolver's newest book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, but I had to set it aside to make it through my book club book The Time Traveler's Wife. So far I prefer the former book, but as book club is next week, that read takes precedence. Until I've completed the book I won't say anything more on it because I'm still trying to sort it out.
To aid in my literary well-roundedness I try to balance the fiction and non-fiction reading. Some years I feel that I focus too much on the fiction and neglect the amazing works of non-fiction. However, this year I've erred more to the side of non-fiction. However, the best work of fiction this year was Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief. This Australian author has an amazing ability to handle language. I read sentences that caused me to stop and revel in their beauty. I wholeheartedly recommend this book! I've read several very good non-fiction books this year. The most amusing, though, was definitely Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. He is always good for a laugh.
I love discovering new books. This year I found in my bookstore the section that contains books about books. I read several about rare book collecting or avid readers. Very fascinating!
When it comes to books I could go on for ages, but I'll leave it at this for now. My reading is never-ending. I know I'll return to this subject in future posts because books are a crucial part of life. As I encounter the people, stories, knowledge found in the pages of books, I believe that I become a part of what I read. I never close a book as exactly the same person I was when I opened it, the words and worlds bring change--big and little. There is an awesome power in books and reading!

0 comments:

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template