RSS

Friday, February 1, 2008

Findng perspective among books...

I am a book maiden. At my place of employment my speciality is children's literature. I'm good at this. I know my stuff. But there are days that I look longingly at other sections and imagine how much more intellectually stimulating it would be to shelve those books. I pit Curious George and Harry Potter against the likes of Shakespeare and Coleridge. Somehow though, the worlds of curious monkeys and flying broomsticks always win. I trudge on through the piles of board books, stacks of pictures books and boxes of young adult fiction, and while I rarely see anything new these days, occasionally a treasure will slip through, like the complete tales of Beatrix Potter (hardback for only $5.50) or the final book for my Dr. Seuss collection. And for a treat, sometimes I slip over to the literary criticism section for a new book of essays, or sort through the writing books, or flip through cookbooks. I am certain if I shelved any of those sections, I would tire of seeing the same books. So, staying in my corner full of brightly colored books keeps my perspective fresh for perusing the other sections. Even if the grass looks greener on the other side, I'm fairly certain it's just as beautiful on my side, it's just all in how you look at it.

3 comments:

Heather L. said...

Is that treasury of BP still available? Or did you buy it? i would really like to have one someday.

Stephanie said...

I'm buying it, but I'll keep a watch for another one that comes through.

jeremy said...

I'm looking for the rare issue of Spiderman #50 1964 where Spidey apparently decides to quit the biz and hang it all up. Just kinda if you stumble across it. No, I don't think you will either, but just in case you do. That would be awesome. Have I ever told you Spidey ROCKS! I have? Oh.

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template