RSS

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What is it with people thinking bookstore employees can pull information out of nowhere?

Customer: I'm looking for a book and it has the word pumpkin in the title.
Me: Okay, um, do you know anything about the book like the author or what it's about?
C: No. I just know that pumpkin is in the title. I think maybe it's from the 1800's or early 1900's.
M: Is it about that time period or was it written in that time period?
C: It was written by a slave girl back then. Or maybe it was in the mid 1900's. All I know is it has pumpkin in the title. Like The Pumpkin.
--here she fades out, so all I know is The Pumpkin--
M: Is it non-fiction or fiction?
C: I think it's fiction.
--I glance through a few book listings on Amazon.com--
M: I'm sorry, without any other information like the full title or the author, I really don't think I can help you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, I remember these days from the public library. You look at them blankly, or in irritation, hoping they can't see what you're really thinking. "Do I look like a worldwide, eternal database of all things ever written?"

Hey, I miss you.

Anonymous said...

this is so classic.:)

Kim Mierau said...

This is awesome. I can imagine your face during this conversation. :)

jeremy said...

Go find a book on Apples and assure her confidently that this was indeed what she was looking for. She might even thank you.

Works for me.

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template