RSS

Friday, April 9, 2010

How is it...

that I've never read Jane Eyre before? This is a travesty!

Last week after I finished up reading a most delightful debut novel, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson, I decided it was time I set aside all the new books I'd been reading and pick up another classic (if you've been reading here awhile, you might remember I set myself a reading goal of 12 classics this year). I've been behind in that department. So, I picked Jane Eyre off my shelves. A week and a half later I'm just now nearly finished, but I have so enjoyed every moment of it. Already I can tell it will be a book I reread. Why don't people write like that anymore? I've read some enjoyable recently-published books, but in general they lack the depth of these classics.

Now, I'm not saying that just because a book is labeled a classic, that the book is automatically the superior of books published in the last few decades; however, there is indeed a reason that particular books stand the test of time.

What's your favorite classic?

7 comments:

Kim Mierau said...

How is that indeed??? It's a wonderful book!! Have you read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility?

Amanda said...

I find your post intriguing.

I HATED the book Jane Eyre when I read it years and years ago. I may have to pick it up again...

My favorite classics?
Little Women
Anne of Green Gables
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Lassie
Sherlock Holmes
Wizard of Oz (series)

liz nelson said...

i've never read that. i suppose that i should.:) i'd say one of my favorite classics is "a picture of dorian grey".

Lana Joy said...

You know I read that last year and was SO surprised I'd never read it either. And it's my Mom's favorite book! I loved it. Glad you could enjoy it too!

Aunt Carol said...

Have you ever read anything by Francine Rivers -- The Atonement Child; Redeeming Love,...? Or Bodie Thoene -- The Zion Covenant and Zion Chronicles series? Both are modern authors and excellent as far as I am concerned!

And I did love Jane Eyre, but I haven't read it in years, so I am not sure it is still my favorite!

Ashley A. Judd said...

Wuthering Heights. I read it a long time ago now; I really ought to pick it up again. I own a really cool version of the book with linocuts (or engravings, I'm not sure which). I've been reading The Great Gatsby, which I only vaguely remembered from high school. It's been fun reading now and remembering what my Junior English teacher taught us about the book's symbolism.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the input!

Kim: I have read Pride and Prejudice. Can't remember about Sense and Sensibility.

Amanda: Little Women is definitely in my top favorites! I've never read any of the Wizard of Oz, interesting...

Liz: I just read A Picture of Dorian Grey last fall. I liked it, but won't reread for awhile, quite depressing!

Lana: How are we so behind the times?! :)

Aunt Carol: I have read some Francine Rivers in the past and found them good. I haven't tried the Thoene books, but have only heard good things about them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ashley: I read Wuthering Heights for a gothic novel class in college and I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. But, of course it was an assignment. :) A couple years ago I listened to The Great Gatsby and honestly wondered why the book is so popular. Perhaps it was because I was just listening to it.

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template