RSS

Monday, May 4, 2009

What I enjoyed most from my reading this year.

For those who are curious, I'm sharing my favorite fiction and non-fiction reads from the list in my last post.

Fiction--
I've never been good at just picking my very favorite, so here's my top three: A Beautiful Blue Death, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Thursday Next First Among Sequels. The first is a mystery set in 1800's London, written by a new British writer. I read both of his books and enjoyed them both very much! The second book is written in letters and set around the time of WWII. It reminded me a bit of one of my favorite books, 84 Charing Cross Road. The last one is the fifth book in the Thursday Next series. I've enjoyed all those books, but have yet to really convince anyone that these crazy books are a great read! It's hard to even put them in a genre because they are somewhat fantasy/sci fi and somewhat mystery. They're just fun. I'd definitely recommend any of these books.

Non-fiction--
My top two: The Taste of Sweet and Praying Backwards. I'm fairly certain I mentioned the first one in a previous post. This was a fascinating read about our connection with sweet foods and the science behind sweet. The second book was an excellent book about prayer! I read it from the library, but am seriously considering buying a copy. Prayer is a weak point in my life and I felt encouraged through this book and have been trying to practice some of what I learned. If you can get your hands on a copy, consider reading it.

My sister asked how The Last Lecture was. Honestly, I didn't really like it all that much. It seemed very common sense to me. And I felt that the author was incredibly self-centered. So many of his sentences began with I. I was hard pressed to know why it's all the rage. But, maybe I missed something. Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think?

0 comments:

 
Copyright Facts, Facets, Fancies, and Fairy Tales 2009. Powered by Blogger.Designed by Ezwpthemes .
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul . Premium Wordpress Themes | Premium Templates | Blogger Template